Author Topic: Would like to be able to specify a new model/material for support  (Read 7990 times)

lorenolepi

• View Profile
Would like to be able to specify a new model/material for support
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
I was messing around with new support feature of Meshmixer 2 and gotta say I'm really digging it  :D
It would be nice though if there was an option to specify the support as a second materiall for AMF files or as second model for stl files so when imported into other slicing software such as Slic3r it could be designated as support. I run dual extruders and a lot of time though I like to use a different material for support, like HIPS so I can dissolve it.  Also sometimes even if it's the same material I use a different color just to easily identify the material that needs to be chipped off.

If this is already an option it would be great if it was documented  ;)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Would like to be able to specify a new model/material for support
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
Hi lorenolepi, you are not the only person who has asked for this =). I did not think of material settings in AMF, that should be do-able. As for exporting separate STLs, here is a workaround you can use now:

1) select a bit of your model and hit 'e' to Expand to Connected
2) hit 'x' to Discard
3) export STL for support
4) undo!
5) hit 'i' to Invert Selection
6) hit 'x' to Discard again
4) export Object

Now you have the object and support separated into two STLs. We'll work on making this easier, but in the meantime I would be thrilled to see some prints with separate-material support =)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

lorenolepi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
Thats a great tip and I will post some pics once I get it up and going ;)

I'm actually having a hard time slicing the new support. It keeps coming up as a non-manifold within my slicer software (I use Slic3r). I've tried various things such as increasing the diameter, increasing the density etc... bringing it into netfab and running a repair. Even within meshmixer once I give it support and run the inspector it will remove most of the support, any thoughts?

Here is a some pics of what I'm trying to print,, its a scan of one of my aunt's sculptures.
 I have been successful printing it using the default support feature within Slic3r but the amount of support generated is ridiculous... see pics. The new support in feature in Meshmixer looks like a much better solution... would you agree  ;)
Note... the picture of the new support was just one of many variations I tried

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:51:51 AM by lorenolepi »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I'm not sure why it would report it as non-manifold, but it is self-intersecting. Self-intersections are a problem for many slicers (I am not sure why, it should be easy to merge the intersecting polygons in each slice, but I digress...). Anyway this is a known problem and we are looking into solutions, but I can't promise anything soon.

The meshmixer Inspector does not fix self-intersections. It is removing the support because it deletes "small disconnected components", which is meant to detect floating bits in scan meshes (that is what the pink/magenta color indicates)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

lorenolepi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
Thanks for the insight! After some tweaking of the settings I was able to get it to come in as manifold  :)  I think I may have had the density set to high and the angle to low?? but not really sure as I tried so many times. The part that seems to be the issue when brought into slic3r is the tips. I was thinking about buying the full netfab program as it can fix intersecting triangles but that will have to wait for a little bit.
Even though I may not be able to use it at the moment the new support feature is definitely a step leap in the right direction for support!

AWildDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Hi lorenolepi, you are not the only person who has asked for this =). I did not think of material settings in AMF, that should be do-able. As for exporting separate STLs, here is a workaround you can use now:

1) select a bit of your model and hit 'e' to Expand to Connected
2) hit 'x' to Discard
3) export STL for support
4) undo!
5) hit 'i' to Invert Selection
6) hit 'x' to Discard again
4) export Object

Now you have the object and support separated into two STLs. We'll work on making this easier, but in the meantime I would be thrilled to see some prints with separate-material support =)

Has a new way of doing this been implemented? The way above seems to work but I was wondering if we could get AMF materials setting for generated support. (Sorry to raise this really old thread from the dead, but its a top hit on google.)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
Maybe this helps: You've to set Meshmixer to export the whole scene in menu:File/Preferences > File tab.

Now after generating supports via ANALYSIS/Overhangs:

1. SELECT a bit of your main surface and hit E to ExpandToConnected
2. Hit Y to make this selection a separate object

EXPORT as .amf.

Slic3r reads the .amf as two parts...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.